Since I started working in the medical field, one of the greatest impediments I have noticed is a lack of communication. That means communication from provider to patient, patient to nurse, nurse to provider, and then reverse that triangle and go the other way as well. After today's clusterf*%k in my program, I can see that it's obviously a problem in medical schools as well.
We were discussing possibilities and trying to get info on international rotations for next year. One teacher happens to mention a Central American rotation that is really close to being okay'd and available for next year. Everyone is elated, this is the type of rotations we were hoping for. Cue the group *sigh* of content and happiness.
However, a student then emails the clinical team to find out more and get some details about this rotation. The clinical team responds with shock, stating that this rotation is far from solid, and will not be considered for the rotations in the immediate future.
W-T-F?
I consider myself a pretty laid back guy, and I usually would let this stuff wash over me and not give a shit (I actually have no desire for an international rotation). However, this is simply another example of this program's inability to get their shit together and speak in one voice. It's the same when we do physical exams, decide on treatments, and look at course objectives. It seems nobody is communicating with each other. The guest lecturer has no idea about the objectives, so he presents whatever he can make a PowerPoint for. The slide shows are a hodge-podge of information. I feel like "All the Kings Horses, and All the Kings Men", putting a damn lecture together again." It's messed up.
And you had better believe that the least amount of communication is going to the students. After repeated class meetings I think everyone in the class can agree that one thing we want is DISCLOSURE. Even if it's bad news...hell, even if it's news you absolutely think we do not want to hear, TELL US!! Right now we are heading out for Spring Break and 90% of the rotations for next year are done. However, they will not tell those individuals whose rotations are complete because 10% of the folks wouldn't get theirs and might be cranky. SO WHAT? We know that 4 of us are going to be disappointed. I think we all would be willing to risk it.
I just tell myself, "Ah well, just 6 more weeks of G-Chat and flash games during class, then it's off to Clinical Year!
JW
Dusty Souls and To Do Lists
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment