8/24/09

Costa Rica

So as it turns out, I am a pretty lousy blogger. I let myself get distracted too often and forget to write. However, the truth is that it seems I can only write when conditions are perfect. If I am too bored, everything seems repetitive, but if I am having too much fun, then I can't seem to find the time to talk about it online. Thankfully, Costa Rica is the latter. We have been here only 3 weeks and it seems twice that long. The weekdays are pretty much the same, but they are punctuated by new experiences, new food, and a sense of exhaustion at the end of the day. I have been in bed by 9:00 almost every day. The weekends have been great so far. Exciting places and people, strange foreign language and customs, cab drivers, let's just say I am enjoying the place so far.
Maybe it is because this is my first experience in someplace completely foreign, or maybe it is because of Costa Rica specifically, but I am shaken. These people are so happy. At times they are rude and crazy (do not attempt to drive here), but most of them have no extravagant material things and are completely comfortable and content. Everyone has bars on their windows, whether rich or poor, but violent crime is actually pretty low. The biggest thing being petty theft. It's also pretty cool to look at the houses as well. From the outside, there is very little difference between the wealthy and the poor. Nobody seems eager to show off their wealth except the dumbshit American tourists who rent the Humvee because they think the roads are gonna be dirt everywhere. 98% of this countries population has access to municipal water and healthcare (That's frickin HIGH!-In comparison, the US has only 84% of it's population on public municipal water, the rest is well supplied. Most other countries in the area only have 80-90 percent access to POTABLE water). Anyway, so far I haven't seen a single real patient, and am having way too much fun to really care. Here are a couple pics from my travels, more to come soon....I hope
JW






No comments:

Post a Comment