7/21/09

Just.....bored.

So it's been almost three weeks since my last post, mostly for two reasons:

1) I go to bed before my 3 year old nephew because I'm up at 3:45am.
2) My apartment has no internet, so I'm typing as I eat my Panera sandwich.

The last three weeks have been exactly as it says in the title...kinda boring. Prior to this rotation I thought I would find surgery exciting, but as a whole I have been pretty disappointed. Surgery for a PA is a totally different experience than for a doctor. We make no final decisions and our voice is never the one the scrub tech is listening for most. Autonomy is one of the reasons I chose becoming a PA over a nurse or medical tech in the first place.

Clinic is even worse. 50% of my patients are here for one kind of bariatric surgery or another. Either that or they are follow-ups without complications, because any complications are usually dealt with in the hospital. All have been screened by primary providers for any serious conditions and almost none have findings on physical exam. Remember, this isn't an ER, it's scheduled patients. Gallstones don't schedule appointments. Not a single surgeon here carries a stethescope, only the residents. There are some minor procedures, and I try like mad to get in on those, but it's like feeding a starving man a saltine without water.


The only redeeming thing about this rotation is my Chief Resident and rounding. This is where I learn the most, get pimped the most yes, but it's all in the nature of teaching. Patients are sick, they are complicated, and they actually have findings on physical exam. Sure I have to get up early to do it and stay late to finish at the end of the day, but I think the trade is fair.

Just 3 more weeks....counting down...

No comments:

Post a Comment